Here’s a really simple Science lesson that you can put together in an evening for a couple of euro – handy for those nights that you’re scrambling for something to do!
- 5 containers and 5 copper (1c, 2c or 5c) coins per group.
- Tomato Ketchup
- Lemon Juice
- Bottle of Coke
- Explain that the children will be investigating the best coin cleaner.
- Have each group predict which one they think will work best.
- Decide how to conduct a fair test – (same amount of each substance used, same amount of time, coins in similar condition before test).
- Leave coins to sit for twenty/thirty minutes (you could teach a quick lesson on acids/bases and the pH scale here).
- Examine coins and note best cleaner (it should be the tomato sauce as it is the best acidic, which counteracts the base, copper oxide, on the coins).
This is such a simple little experiment, but the kids loving sticking their hands in a bowl of ketchup or Coke, and you can explicitly teach the scientific method through hypothesising, designing a fair test, and writing down the materials and procedure as above!